The human race is innovative,
progressive and constantly evolving. The never-ending flow of ideas produces a
never-ending flow of new technologies that make our lives more and more
convenient. However, all of this progress has done more than advance humanity.
Technological progression has also created intellectual regression. The
increasingly prevalent presence of technology has served as both an advantage
and a detriment to our ability to provide our own solutions. Many students
shout the merits of a spellchecker – and so do their grades – but can it truly
be considered meritorious if those students cannot spell that selfsame word
when putting pen to paper? Technology
has provided for us a high level of comfort, improved working and living
conditions, and all-around day-to-day convenience. However, by surrendering to
that convenience, many people seem to also surrender their ability to operate
independently of these digital assistants.
To technology, we humans act as both master and slave.
In an article written by BBC News’ Bill Thompson, an experiment performed by psychologist
Christof van Nimwegen is described and yields extremely interesting results.
Thompson explains, “Van Nimwegen’s investigation focused on the ways in which
externalizing interface information influences a user’s performance in solving
problems requiring planning”. The experiement involved two groups of users who
were asked to solve a complex puzzle where they had to move two differently
colored balls using a dish. Two different versions of the game were made, one
with more guidance than the other, and were distributed to the users. The
results were that those users provided with less support performed better at
the puzzle than those who received help. Those with less support were even able
to remember how to play the game better after an eight-month gap. This
experiment shows that in regards to technology, less help is sometimes more
beneficial to people in the long run. However, technology is continuing to grow
more and more helpful to the point of being unhelpful.
Far be it from me to pretend that I
am removed from this technological fascination. I am the first person to admit
that I am regretfully reliant on my electronics. When I’m not talking on my
phone, I’m checking for new text messages, Twitter updates, e-mails, text
messages again, more Twitter updates, more emails, lather, rinse, repeat. Society
is in a constant cycle of communication, everyone always in touch with everyone
else. If my phone dies, I am immediately cut off from my social media network.
Any teenager can relate to the “tragedy” of a dead cell phone battery. But I
have to wonder why it is such a tragedy? What can’t I find as much
entertainment and pleasure in the physical world around me as I find in this
tiny device that fits right in my hand?
In the study “Teenagers: AGeneration Unplugged”, conducted in July 2008 by Harris Interactive and CTIA, teenagers across the US
were asked to complete a survey of more than 100 questions about mobile phone
usage, attitudes, behaviors, and desires from the future of technological
communications. According to the study, 57% of teens view their cell phone as
the key to their social life. The study also found that texting has begun to
take the place of talking. Teens admitted spending nearly equal time each month
texting as they did talking face-to-face. If texting were no longer an option,
47% of teens feel that their social lives would end.
Technology has become so prevalent
in the lives of digital natives that they feel unable to function socially
without it. No one is directly to blame for these feelings in the digital
natives. All technology developed – writing, language, tools – were created and
put to use for the sake of convenience. Technology made life easy, and when you
are born into a world surrounded by such convenience, you become wholly
accustomed to it. We didn’t have a choice in the matter. As we live life
assisted by technology, we became reliant on it to perform tasks that older
generations used to be able to perform independently. We now need to use
technology as much as it needs to be used by us.
Technology is so beneficial to
society and is testament to the inventiveness of humanity. I am excited to see
what bigger and better things are to come as humanity continues to advance
their technological prowess and as we dive deeper into a digital culture.
However, a part of me is also wary of that dive – if we go too deep, won’t we
drown? What if our own technology out advances us? In Isaac Asimov’s short story “Runaround”, published in his
popular collection of science fiction stories entitled I, Robot , humans have created robots so advanced that they wrench
control of a facility from humans because they feel the humans could not
perform the task satisfactorily. The robots were stronger, faster, smarter and
the humans were powerless to escape their robotic captors. I want humanity to
grow and flourish as the advanced, futuristic, Jetsons-like society that people
have envisioned for years. But if we continue down this path of
ultra-convenience, I can’t help but wonder if eventually humans will become mindless,
insufficient blobs of flesh and bones with superior computers doing all the
thinking for us.
Ultimately, I do think that
technology has done more help than harm and I am glad to be a part of this
digital culture. The future holds great things for humanity and I am excited to
see where we dare go next. In the meantime, I intend to strive for balance
between the digital and the physical realms of my life. There is a whole other
world beyond the electronic one sitting in my hand, and I intend to explore and
discover all I can about both of them.
7 comments:
Danielle, I love your take on technology that you presented in this post. I agree with your thoughts on "spellcheckers" and the fact that most teens cannot properly spell because they rely so much on Spell Check and auto-correct. I also have to say that I rely on electronics more than I would like to admit and regret all the time I don't spend reveling in the environment and the people around me. Like you, however, I agree that technology hasn't hindered our society as much as it has helped it. I believe that the advancements in medicine and improvements in the quality of life can be attributed completely to electronics and the new advancements made in technology.
I could not agree more with the stance that has been taken to present the prevalent concerns regarding digital media. Sometimes these apprehensions can be overlooked because the whole human race is so captivated by the positive aspects that are provided to us through technology. Unfortunately, I relate entirely to the negative aspects that are portrayed in this blog. I myself can relate to the “tragedy” of a dead cell phone battery and confess that I regularly check my social media sites on my phone and laptop constantly. It is evident that this technology phenomenon that was intended to be harmless and beneficial, has turned into being unhelpful as mentioned in paragraph two. It is illustrated in the studies you inputted into your blog, how teenagers even consider technology as a source of their social life. I actually find that sad that kids of our generation our letting go of the true essence of face to face conversations, and are letting technology define them and be the key social aspect of their lives.
Sorry Danielle, I think you are playing the blame game. If there is anything wrong with today’s youth it’s their inability or unwillingness to take accountability. It’s far easier to blame this or that than to accept responsibility for the current state of affair. Human apathy is a far greater threat to human superiority than any technological invention. One of our greatest assets is our ability for critical thinking. But critical thinking requires interest, involvement, and the exercise of effort, unfortunately, too great a task for some. People need to start caring and take ownership of what is going on around them and become a positive force for Good. We can make a difference.
Anonymous, I think you misread my post. The purpose of this entry is to emphasize that humanity is enamored with technology. As society chooses to integrate itself with the technology we created, we open a doorway for laziness within ourselves. I blame no one for the prevalence of technology except for humanity itself. It was our innovation that brought technology to us, our appreciation for convenience that caused us to use it so much, and our ambition that will bring new technologies into existence. I do not disagree with you - people do need to take accountability for their actions - but I do not see why you disagree with me.
The plight of mankind goes deeper than the newest gadget on the market. It speaks to the very core of the spirit of a man. Character, integrity and morality are the three– fold traits that safeguard mankind from the negative consequences of human ingenuity. When these virtues are breached than anything is possible, even the coup d’etat of man by machines.
If you are implying that the integrity of the human race has been compromised, that is a very bold statement to make. You cannot possibly know the virtuousness of all of mankind, nor can you condemn them as a whole. Just because we live in an indulgent society does not necessarily imply that our character, integrity and morality is compromised. Unless you set out to purposely make life harder for yourself, it is perfectly plausible and practical to take advantage of the convenience that technology offers us. I do not see how doing so would imply that one's character is compromised. I do not for one second believe that that our technological advancements were a mistake. In fact, I would say that this digital world we have created is one of our greatest achievements. Yes, humanity is undoubtably flawed, but that is not the fault of technology nor is that a recent development. Humans make mistakes, but what is most important is that they fix them. If they didn't, we wouldn't be here today. I have faith in humanity. Perhaps you should, too.
Couldn't. Agree. More. Laziness is all over this new digital age we have created. As to who to blame, it doesn't really make much of a difference. Rather, we should turn our heads forward. We should realize the inevitability of this new digital age, and see how we can move forward without compromising ourselves or our integrity.
Post a Comment